Are you looking for small business marketing hacks for 2023?
Did you know that generating traffic and leads are the most significant challenges for 61% of marketers (Fundera, 2023)?
Fortunately, you’re in the right place to learn about small business marketing hacks that can help increase traffic to your website and leads to your business.
These hacks can help small brands and businesses compete with direct competitors and larger companies, so let’s get started!
Introduction: Small Business Marketing Hacks
The top 20 small business marketing hacks for 2023 include:
- Utilize user-generated content
- Offer a referral program
- Use local SEO tactics
- Host events
- Create shareable content
- Use chatbots
- Utilize video marketing
- Offer free trials or samples
- Use retargeting ads
- Leverage online reviews
- Host a giveaway on social media
- Use emotional triggers in your copy
- Collaborate with a charity
- Offer a loyalty program
- Use scarcity tactics
- Create a social media challenge
- Use influencer marketing
- Utilize retargeting emails
- Offer a VIP experience
- Create a customer loyalty board
There’s a lot to unpack here, so let’s jump in!
Small Business Marketing Hacks
Marketing is extremely important for all businesses, but it can also be one of the most challenging.
Knowing where to focus your efforts and how to get the most bang for your buck can feel overwhelming for small business owners, with many channels and strategies available.
That’s where marketing hacks come in – clever and creative marketing strategies that can help you get the most out of your marketing campaigns while keeping costs low.
This blog post will explore marketing tactics many small businesses can use to generate leads, attract new customers, improve brand recognition, and more.
These hacks are simple, effective, and can be implemented with minimal time and budget.
Whether you’re just starting or looking to take your marketing to the next level, these marketing tips will help you achieve your goals.
So, small business owner, let’s dive in and explore 20 small business marketing hacks to help you take your small business to the next level!
Small Business Marketing Hacks – Additional Resources
Make sure to check out these digital marketing resources after reading this one:
- Small Business Digital Marketing Resources For Small Businesses
- Why Is Digital Marketing Important For Small Businesses?
- 5 Effective Digital Marketing Strategies For Small Business In 2023
- What Does A Digital Marketing Agency Do (And Why You Need One)
- When To Start Marketing A New Business
- How To Create A Digital Marketing Strategy
- 8 Small Business Marketing Mistakes
Marketing Hack #1: Utilize User-Generated Content (UGC)
The first in our list of small business marketing hacks is to utilize user-generated content (UGC).
UGC refers to any content created and shared by loyal fans of your business who are not professional content creators.
This content can be anything from blog posts, photos, videos, and social media posts to reviews, comments, and testimonials.
Users of a product or service typically create UGC, which can be shared on a wide range of platforms, including social media, online forums, and websites.
UGC is a great way to create social proof and show that your customers trust and value your product or service.
To implement this hack, encourage your customers to share photos or videos of your product on major social media platforms and then share that content on your channels.
You can offer incentives such as discounts or free products to encourage participation.
Marketing Hack #2: Offer A Referral Program
A referral program is a marketing strategy that encourages existing customers to refer their friends, family, or other acquaintances to a business or service in exchange for a reward or incentive.
The goal of a referral program is to leverage the existing customer base to bring in new customers and increase sales.
Referral programs can be a great way to attract new customers and retain existing ones.
To implement this hack, offer rewards to customers who refer new business to you.
This could be in the form of discounts, free products or services, or other perks.
Make sure to promote your referral program on your website and social media channels.
Marketing Hack #3: Use Local SEO Tactics
Local SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is optimizing a website or online presence to improve its visibility in local search results on search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
The goal of local SEO is to make it easier for people in a specific geographic location to find your business when they search for relevant products or services.
Local SEO is a cost-effective way to attract customers in your local area.
To implement this hack, optimize your website for local search terms such as “near me” or the name of your city or town.
Create a Google Business profile to help your business appear in local search results and Google Maps.
Also, ensure your business information is consistent and up-to-date across all online directories.
Marketing Hack #4: Host Events
Hosting events or workshops related to your business can help attract potential customers and build brand awareness.
To implement this hack, choose a topic relevant to your business and target audience and create an event around it.
Use social media and email marketing to promote the event and encourage attendees to share their experiences on social media.
Marketing Hack #5: Create Shareable Content
Shareable content is any content users will likely share on social media and other online platforms.
This content is usually informative, entertaining, inspiring, or emotional in some way, and it is designed to capture the attention and interest of a specific audience.
Creating shareable, high quality content is a great way to increase brand awareness and attract new customers.
To implement this hack, start with market research, then create entertaining, informative, or inspiring quality content that will likely be shared on social media.
This could be in the form of videos, infographics, or memes. Make sure to include your branding and a call to action in the content.
Marketing Hack #6: Use Chatbots
A chatbot is a computer program simulating conversations with human users through text or voice interactions.
Chatbots are often powered by artificial intelligence (AI) and natural language processing (NLP) technologies, which allow them to understand and respond to user queries in a human-like manner.
Chatbots are a low-cost way to provide customer support and improve customer experience.
To implement this hack, use a chatbot tool to set up automated responses to common customer inquiries.
You can also use chatbots to provide recommendations or product suggestions based on customer input.
Marketing Hack #7: Utilize Video Marketing
Video marketing is a strategy that involves using video content to promote and market a brand, product, or service.
It can take many forms, including product demos, explainer videos, customer testimonials, how-to guides, live streams, and more.
Video marketing is a highly engaging and effective way to promote your products or services.
To implement this hack, create short videos that showcase your products or services and post them on social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok.
Use engaging visuals and sound to grab viewers’ attention.
Marketing Hack #8: Offer Free Trials Or Samples
Offering free trials or samples is a great way to encourage potential customers to try your product or service.
To implement this hack, offer a free trial or sample of your product or service for a limited time.
Ensure to include a call to action to encourage customers to purchase after the trial period ends.
Marketing Hack #9: Use Retargeting Ads
Retargeting ads, also known as remarketing ads, target users who have already interacted with a website or brand.
The goal of retargeting ads is to re-engage with users who have shown an interest in a product or service and to encourage them to complete a desired action, such as making a purchase, filling out a form, or signing up for a newsletter.
Retargeting ads are a cost-effective way to target people who have already shown interest in your business.
To implement this hack, use retargeting ads on social media platforms to target people who have visited your website or engaged with your content but haven’t made a purchase.
Ensure to include a compelling offer or call to action in the ad.
Marketing Hack #10: Leverage Customer Reviews
Leveraging customer reviews are part of our list of small business marketing hacks, and it’s also necessary for your business.
Encouraging satisfied customers to leave online reviews is a powerful marketing hack for small businesses because it helps build social proof, boost credibility, and improve search engine visibility.
Here’s how to do it:
- Identify the review sites that are most relevant to your business: This will depend on your industry and location, but popular review sites include Google, Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Facebook.
- Make it easy for customers to leave reviews: Provide links to your business profiles on review sites on your website, in your email signature, and on your social media profiles. You can also create a custom landing page with instructions and links to different review sites.
- Ask for reviews at the right time: Ask customers for a review after they have had a positive experience with your business, such as after a purchase or a completed service.
- Incentivize customers to leave reviews: Offering a discount or special offer in exchange for a review can be a powerful incentive.
- Respond to reviews: Responding to positive and negative reviews shows that you value customer feedback and can help build trust with potential customers who are reading the reviews.
Always follow the guidelines of the review site you are using and never pay for fake reviews, as this can harm your reputation and get you banned from the platform.
Marketing Hack #11: Host A Giveaway On Social Media
Hosting a giveaway on social media is a great way to increase engagement and attract new followers.
To implement this hack, create a giveaway post that asks followers to like, comment, and share the post for a chance to win a prize.
Here are some steps to follow:
- Choose a prize: Select a prize that is relevant to your business and will appeal to your target market.
- Determine the entry rules: Decide how users can enter the giveaway (e.g. following your social media accounts, liking or commenting on a post(s), tagging friends, etc.).
- Set a timeframe: Decide on the start and end dates of the giveaway, and make sure you give people enough time to enter.
- Promote the giveaway: Spread the word about the giveaway on your social media channels, website, and email newsletter. Use eye-catching visuals and persuasive copy to grab attention and generate interest.
- Select a winner: Once the giveaway has ended, use a random generator to select a winner. Make sure to announce the winner publicly on your social media channels and congratulate them.
- Follow up with participants: After the giveaway, follow up with all participants to thank them for entering and encourage them to continue engaging with your business.
Remember to follow the terms of service of the social media platform you are using and clearly state the rules and restrictions of the giveaway in your post.
Marketing Hack #12: Use Emotional Triggers In Your Copy
Emotional triggers in marketing are specific emotions or feelings that marketers use to influence consumer behavior and decision-making.
These emotions can be positive, such as happiness, excitement, and inspiration, or negative, such as fear, anger, and anxiety.
Emotional triggers are often used in marketing to create a sense of urgency or to appeal to a specific need or desire in the consumer.
Emotional triggers in your copy can help you connect with your audience and inspire action.
To implement this hack, use words and phrases that evoke emotions such as joy, fear, or excitement in your marketing copy.
Use these triggers to create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to take action.
Some common emotional triggers used in marketing include:
- Fear of missing out (FOMO): This emotional trigger influences the consumer’s desire to not miss out on a limited opportunity.
- Social proof: This emotional trigger uses the power of social influence to persuade consumers to take a desired action by showing examples of others who have already taken that action.
- Urgency: This emotional trigger creates a sense of urgency by emphasizing a limited-time offer, a limited supply, or a deadline for taking action.
- Nostalgia: This emotional trigger taps into the consumer’s nostalgia and memories to create an emotional connection with the brand or product.
- Exclusivity: This emotional trigger influences the consumer’s desire for exclusivity and uniqueness by emphasizing limited edition or exclusive products or experiences.
Marketing Hack #13: Collaborate With A Charity
Collaborating with a charity is not only a great way to give back to your community, but it can also be an effective marketing hack for small businesses. Here are some steps to follow:
- Choose a charity: Choose one that aligns with your business values and appeals to your target audience.
- Determine how you will collaborate: Decide on the type of collaboration that would work best for your business and the charity. For example, you could donate a portion of sales to the charity, host a fundraising event, or volunteer your time.
- Plan the collaboration: Create a plan for the collaboration, including goals, timelines, and communication strategies.
- Promote the collaboration: Spread the word about the collaboration on your social media channels, website, and email newsletter. Use visuals and copy that showcase the charity and the impact of the collaboration.
- Follow up: After the collaboration, follow up with the charity to thank them for their partnership and share the results of the collaboration with your audience.
Remember to choose a charity that is authentic to your brand and to communicate the purpose and impact of the collaboration with your audience.
Use social media and email marketing to promote the campaign and encourage customers to participate.
Marketing Hack #14: Offer A Loyalty Program
A loyalty program is a marketing strategy that rewards customers for their repeat business and brand loyalty.
These programs encourage customers to return to a business by providing them with incentives, such as discounts, exclusive deals, free products or services, or other rewards.
A loyalty program can help you retain existing customers and encourage repeat business. To implement this hack, create a loyalty program that rewards customers for making repeat purchases or referring new business.
Make sure to promote your loyalty program on your website and social media channels.
Marketing Hack #15: Use Scarcity Tactics
A scarcity tactic is a marketing strategy that creates a sense of urgency or scarcity to encourage consumers to take action.
Scarcity tactics are often used to promote products or services that are limited in availability, time, or quantity to persuade consumers to make a purchase quickly.
Using scarcity tactics can create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to take action.
To implement this hack, use phrases such as “limited time offer” or “while supplies last” in your marketing copy.
You can also offer limited-time discounts or create a sense of exclusivity by offering a product or service to a select group of customers.
Some common scarcity tactics include:
- Limited-time offers: This tactic offers a product or service at a discounted price or with unique features, but only for a limited time.
- Limited quantities: This tactic promotes a product or service that has limited availability or is only available to a limited number of customers.
- Countdown timers: This tactic uses a countdown timer to create a sense of urgency and encourage consumers to purchase before the time runs out.
- Out-of-stock notifications: This tactic shows that a product or service is in high demand or running low on stock, which can create a sense of urgency to buy before it’s too late.
Marketing Hack #16: Create a Social Media Challenge
A social media challenge is a trend or activity that encourages users to participate in a particular activity or share specific content on social media.
Challenges can take many forms, from a simple photo or video prompts to more complex activities or games.
Creating a social media challenge is fun and engaging to attract new followers and increase engagement.
To implement this hack, create a challenge that asks followers to post photos or videos related to your business and use a specific hashtag.
Offer a prize or incentive to encourage participation.
Marketing Hack #17: Use Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is a marketing strategy in which brands partner with individuals who have a solid following on social media or other online platforms to promote their products or services to their audience.
These individuals, known as “influencers,” can include celebrities, bloggers, social media personalities, or experts in a particular field.
Influencer marketing is a great way to expand your reach and build brand awareness.
To implement this hack, find influencers that align with your brand and target audience and offer to collaborate on a campaign or promotion.
Make sure to clearly define the terms of the collaboration and track the results to measure its success.
Marketing Hack #18: Utilize Retargeting Emails
Retargeting emails are a type of email marketing strategy in which emails are sent to individuals who have previously engaged with a brand’s website or products but did not make a purchase or complete a desired action.
These emails are intended to “re-engage” the individual and encourage them to take action, such as completing a purchase or signing up for a newsletter.
Retargeting emails are a great way to remind customers of products or services they have shown interest in.
To implement this hack, use email marketing software to create automated emails that remind customers of products they have viewed on your website or added to their cart.
Offer a discount or promotion to encourage them to make a purchase.
Marketing Hack #19: Offer A VIP Experience
In marketing, a VIP experience is a promotional strategy that offers special treatment or exclusive access to a brand’s most valued customers or fans.
The goal is to create a unique and memorable experience that fosters loyalty and builds a deeper connection between the brand and the customer.
Offering a VIP experience to your top customers can help you build loyalty and encourage repeat business.
Creating a VIP experience for your customers can be an effective marketing hack for small businesses. Here are some steps to follow:
- Identify your VIP customers: Determine which customers are most loyal and engaged with your brand.
- Determine the VIP experience: Decide what the VIP experience will look like. This could include special offers, exclusive access to new products, personalized customer service, or early access to sales.
- Communicate with your VIP customers: Reach out to them and let them know about the VIP experience. Be clear about what they can expect and how they can take advantage of it.
- Deliver on the VIP experience: Follow through on your promises and ensure that your VIP customers have an exceptional experience.
- Gather feedback: After the VIP experience, ask your customers for feedback. Use their input to improve and refine the VIP experience for future customers.
Remember that creating a VIP experience is about making your customers feel valued and appreciated.
You can build stronger relationships and generate more word-of-mouth referred customers by offering a special experience to your most loyal customers.
Marketing Hack #20: Create a Customer Loyalty Board
The last but certainly not least small business marketing hacks is to create a customer loyalty board.
A customer loyalty board refers to a Pinterest board or similar platform that a brand can use to showcase its happy customers and build social proof.
The board might feature photos of customers using the brand’s products or services and testimonials or quotes about their experiences.
The goal is to create a visual display demonstrating the brand’s strong relationship with its customers and encouraging others to become loyal customers.
Creating a customer loyalty board is a great way to showcase your loyal customers and build social proof.
To implement this hack, create a board on Pinterest or a similar platform that features photos and testimonials from your loyal customers.
Share the board on your website and social media channels to showcase your brand’s loyal following.
Small Business Marketing Hacks FAQs
What are the top 5 marketing mistakes small businesses make?
The top 5 marketing mistakes that small businesses make are:
1. Lack of clear brand positioning and differentiation
2. Not understanding their target audience and their needs
3. Not having a clear marketing plan or strategy
4. Overreliance on one marketing channel or tactic
5. Not measuring or tracking the effectiveness of their marketing efforts
For our complete list, read our post: Small Business Marketing Mistakes
How can small businesses create effective marketing?
To create effective marketing, small businesses can follow these steps:
1. First, define their target audience and their needs
2. Next, develop a clear brand positioning and differentiation
3. Then, create a marketing plan or strategy that aligns with their business goals and budget
4. Next, utilize multiple marketing channels and tactics to reach their target audience
5. Then, continuously measure and track the effectiveness of their marketing efforts and adjust their strategy accordingly.
For a complete marketing checklist, read our post: Marketing Checklist for Small Business
What are the 4 main marketing strategies?
The 4 main marketing strategies are:
1. Product differentiation: highlighting unique features or benefits of a product to differentiate it from competitors
2. Cost leadership: offering products at a lower price than competitors to gain a larger market share1.
3. Market segmentation: dividing the market into smaller groups of consumers with similar needs and characteristics and targeting each group with a specific marketing strategy
4. Niche marketing: targeting a specific, narrow market segment with a unique product or service offering
How can I market my small business cheaply?
There are several ways to market a small business cheaply, such as:
1. Utilizing social media platforms to connect with customers and promote products or services
2. Creating and sharing valuable content through a blog or email newsletter1.
3. Collaborating with other businesses to cross-promote products or services
4. Offering referral or loyalty programs to incentivize existing customers to refer new customers
5. Participating in community events and networking opportunities to increase brand awareness.
How do I market myself as a small business?
To market yourself as a small business, develop a targeted marketing strategy focusing on social media channels to engage potential customers. Use high-quality content and relevant keywords in social media posts on major platforms to reach a broader audience. Conduct market research to identify your target market and tailor your marketing efforts accordingly. Utilize local SEO and Google Business profile to attract local customers. Leverage online reviews and social proof to build trust and loyalty among your customer base.
How can I grow my small business with marketing?
To grow your small business with marketing, start by creating a well-defined marketing strategy tailored to your target audience. Utilize social media channels and major platforms to reach potential customers and engage them through high-quality content and social media posts. Conduct market research to understand your target market better and refine your marketing efforts accordingly. Leverage online marketing campaigns and local SEO to increase visibility among local businesses. Utilize social proof and online reviews to build brand recognition and trust among your customer base. Continuously analyze sales data to optimize your marketing strategies and attract new customers, leading to more sales and influence in your industry.
Conclusion: 20 Small Business Marketing Hacks
In conclusion, small business marketing hacks can be a game-changer for smaller brands looking to grow and succeed in a competitive market.
By implementing these simple and creative solutions, businesses can improve their brand awareness, attract new customers, and retain existing ones.
From using user-generated content to collaborating with influencers, these hacks can help businesses make the most of their marketing efforts while keeping costs low.
The key is experimenting with different hacks and finding the best for your business.
By reading this blog post on small business marketing hacks, you have enough information to get started.
However, if you’re a local business and are looking for a hand, check out our:
- Small business web design packages
- Premium SEO service
- Small business website management services,
- Blog content marketing services
When you choose Samantha Digital’s best digital marketing services for small businesses, we become your business partner and are committed to creating an effective online marketing strategy for your business.
So, start implementing these online marketing hacks today to increase customer interactions, attract more paying customers, get more sales, have more influence, stand out from your direct competitor, and take your small business to the next level!